I was working on my Tyranids yesterday and looking through my bits box when I found a large pair of resin wings. These are the Ultraforge demon wings that I had originally purchased intending to use them to make a Winged Hive Tyrant conversion. Well with the new plastic kit out, I don't need them for that anymore. Flipping through my codex I found the Parasite of Mortrex and decided to try converting my own version.
The codex says the parasite is a winged form of the Tyranid Warrior, so that gave me the approximate size and the wings were the right size. From my bits box I picked some extra ravener bits; the tail that is coming out of the ground and a deathspitter chest piece. I clipped away the ground bits from around the tail and placed an armored plate over the deathspitter. This will help represent the parasite's improved 3+ armor save. the arms are a set of warrior rending claws and ravener scything talons. The head is a standard warrior head to which I added a greenstuff crest to try and match the artwork in the codex.
I didn't have a carapace bit for the back of the torso. So I bulked out the torso with some cheap epoxy putty and then made the carapace of of green stuff. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. From seeing the pictures I will have to sand off a couple of finger prints though.
For the tail I found an extra metal hive tyrant tail in my bits. It was thinner than the base of the ravenor tail I wanted match it to, so I extended the tail with a piece of floral wire for structure and some green stuff to fill it out. Wrapping green stuff around a wire proved a bit trickier than I expected. Once it cures I will have to sand out some of the lumps.
I also added a blade to the tip of the tail to represent the parasites implant attack ablility, one of the most important aspects of this model.
Well, there is my Parasite of Mortrex conversion, basically ready to be painted after a few clean ups. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment.
Coming Soon: more Tyranids, Blood bowl, Mordor Uruk-Hai.