Monday, February 27, 2012

Guest Post: And Now for Rangers



I have begun to put together my second Lord of the Rings army. Not becasue I am bored with my first army - which is Galadhrim Elves (I still do love them), but because I simply wanted to try an entirely new game experience in both aesthetics and gameplay.

I have decided to build a 600-point Arnor force (Grey Company).

The Elves are shiny and disciplined -- the rangers are muddy and individualistic.
The Elves are a highly organized -- the rangers are opportunistic and unconventional.
The Elves are elite fighters that can stand toe-to-toe with any foe -- the rangers must use more subtle tactics.



I am very much looking forward to the change in tactics and strategies when playing this army. I understand it will be a challenge, but I am determined to give it a go and learn how to make it play (at least reasonably well).

Warband 1
1x Arathorn (75 pts - hand weapon, armor and bow)
8x Ranger or Arnor (64 pts - hand weapon, armor, bow)
4x Ranger of Arnor (36 pts - hand weapon, armor, bow, spear)

Warband 2
1x Halbarad (65 pts - hand weapon, armor and bow)
8x Ranger or Arnor (64 pts - hand weapon, armor, bow)
4x Ranger of Arnor (36 pts - hand weapon, armor, bow, spear)

Warband 3
1x Captain of Arnor (55 pts - hand weapon, armor and shield)
6x Warrior of Arnor (48 pts - hand weapon, armor, bow)

The following are each in their own Warband:
5x Ranger of the North (130 pts - hand weapon, armor, bow)
1x Ranger of the North (25 pts - hand weapon, armor, bow, spear)

Totals:
598 Points
39 Models
32 Bows
14 Might


I think this list has a lot of potential. I will not be walking into and shield-walls with this force, but instead relying on hit-and-run tactics with my bows divided up into many small groups. There is a good number of models for this point level and very high number of might points to use during the course of the battle. The negatives are the low defense and courage of most of my army - which simply emphasizes the way I want to play this army anyway.

I've begun painting the rangers and I have assembled the rest of the army. Maybe I can get a fun game in this week with this new army at our regular Thursday night club games. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...