Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 New Years Gaming Resolutions

So it is now 2012 and New Year's is the time for resolutions. It seems the game blogging community is no different, so I will join my fellow bloggers in recapping the previous year and laying out some goals for 2012.

Blogging
Well with only 17 posts in 2011 I didn't even come close to my goal of 1 post per week. However I am going to raise the bar anyway and shoot for an average 2 to 3 posts per week in 2012. I am going to try and accomplish this by coming up with some regular weekly features or types of posts. One of which I have already experimented a bit with - posting army lists every Sunday. I want to expand this past Lord of the Rings SBG and include some other games. I am not sure of the other types of posts to make regular features, but I want to include more painting posts and start doing more terrain posts.

Gaming
Anyone reading this blog in 2011 might reasonably assume that Lord of the Rings was the only game that I played. While it has been the game I most frequently played the last year it is not the only game. I have actually started playing some Firestorm Armada games in the last few months and just recently tried out a new game (for me) called Hordes of the Things with my friend Craig last week. I also want to get back into playing both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K on a regular basis. In fact there is a 40K Kill Team event this Saturday at my local game store that I will be playing in.



Painting
Even though I have not posted anything since Mid-November, I actually have been painting a few things. Mostly the LotR Eagles and Firestorm Armada Terran Fleet. I found breaking up the LotR stuff with a few spaceships kept me from getting burned out on painting as fast. So I am going to try a rotating painting schedule with a few models from one game at a time as I rotate through my various games.  I also am going to attempt to post every model that I finish painting up on the blog.

Lord of the Rings
Lord of the Rings has been a big focus for me the last six months and will continue to be so. I developed a set of league rules called Battle for Middle-Earth a few months ago. I am currently updating them for the second round of league play for our local LotR group.  Also I need to post pictures of the rest of my Rangers of Ithillian army that has been finished since last September. Lately I have been painting my Eagles of the Misty Mountains and they are nearly complete with only two models remaining to be finished. Expect to see some photos soon.  I have models for several other armies waiting to be assembled, but the next one that I work on will be the Cirith Ungol list that I posted a while ago. I will be working on this as I begin painting squads from other games on a rotating basis.

Firestorm Armada
I have been working on painting my Terran Fleet for Firestorm Armada as well as playing some games. I have a relatively large fleet that includes two started sets and at least one squadron of all the currently available choices. I have been painting some of these ships lately and I would say approximately 60% of the fleet is completed.  I need to get some photos of these guys up on the blog.

MERCS
Mercs is a neat little skirmish game that I bought over a year ago but have not had a chance to play yet. I recently found some other people who have this game and I really want to give this game a try. I have three complete factions for this game that need to be painted. Now that may sound like a lot, but given that each faction consists of only six models, it is not really that bad. As soon as the LotR Eagles are finished then one of the MERCS factions will be on the painting schedule, probably KemVar first.

Hordes of the Things
This is a quick and relatively simple Fantasy minitures game that I found. The rules are available as a Free PDF and are based on the classic historical DBA ruleset. The reason I was interested in this game is that the rules define generic types of units like, spears, blades, heroes & magicians and you can use any type of miniatures you feel are appropriate to the unit. The game can also be played in 15mm or 28mm scale. Since I have a boatload of 28mm "RPG" figures I will be using miniatures I already own to make some armies. The  first HotT army you see from me is likely to be lizard men. Not Warhammer Lizardmen mind you, old school AD&D style lizard men.

Malifaux
Another game I bought a while back but have not had a chance to play yet. I was interested in this game because it is a diceless system that uses cards to determine the random results. I at least want to work my starter set of Guild (Lady Justice) into the painting schedule. Finding someone to play against would be nice too.

Dystopian Wars
From Spartan Games, the makers of Firestorm Armada, this steampunk Naval/Air combat game looks pretty cool. I have bought the rules, but have not yet been able to pick a faction. You may see some Dystopian Wars from me in the coming year.

Warhammer 40K
I really want to get back into playing Warhammer 40K on a regular basis. Look for Eldar an on the painting schedule a bit down the road.

Warhammer Fantasy
I would also like to get back to playing Fantasy. I am not sure which army I want to concentrate on, but my Bretonnians really need some love.

Okay that sure is a lot of games up there, but if you are going to dream, dream big. My first game of the new year is likely to be LotR at our weekly game night this Thursday, but I am already working on my 40K Kill Team list for Saturday so the first week of 2012 should see a return of 40K to my gaming life.

Happy New Year

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...